During a media hangout last week, video giant YouTube announced the launch of the local UAE domain youtube.co.ae and revealed some staggering numbers about the Middle East North Africa MENA region. This event is the second hangout that Google holds in Dubai, where the internet giant engage in direct conversation with UAE’s bloggers, as well as journalists.
Matthew Glotzbach, YouTube Managing Director EMEA, announced the 8th local domain is the region, the UAE joins Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Yemen in having a dedicated homepage for content coming from across the Arab Emirates, Glotzbach explained that a local domain displays local videos that either have been uploaded from that country or believed to be related to that country.
One of the interesting points that Glotzbach mentioned is the future of content on the internet, last year I came across a foresight by experts claiming that 90% of the consumed content on the internet by 2014 will be video, and seems like YouTube is sharing the same vision with everyone.
During our interview with Mr. Glotzbach, he mentioned that YouTube is launching the first phase of monetization in the region today April 22nd, video advertising on the home page should be available starting today on local domains of Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt and Morocco. Publishers can start monetizing their channels as well with overlay in-video ads and in-stream ads on their videos.
During the event, we learned some interesting facts about YouTube, both regionally and globally:
- Daily views on YouTube grew up 50% compared to last year
- YouTube playbacks in the MENA region have doubled in the last year
- The MENA region ranked second, after USA and before Brazil, in terms of the number of daily views
- Saudi Arabia ranked number 1 globally, the Kingdom has the highest number of YouTube views in the world per Internet user
- Saudi Arabia leads the region with the most playbacks followed by Egypt, Morocco and UAE
Global YouTube Statistics:
- YouTube has more than 4 Billion views per day up 50% versus last year
- 60 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
MENA Region YouTube Statistics:
- There are 167 Million video views a day in MENA
- There are 90 Million video views in Saudi Arabia per day
- One hour of YouTube video is uploaded in MENA per minute
Country specific data of YouTube usage in 2011 versus 2010:
- Saudi Arabia: Number of uploads jumped 200%, number of views increased 260%
- Egypt: Number uploads jumped 150%, number if views increased 220%
- Jordan: Number of uploads increased 140%, number of views increased 240%
- Tunis: Number of uploads increased 420%
- Yemen: Number of uploads increased 100%, number of views jumped 150%
Managing Director, YouTube EMEA
Matthew is responsible for the strategy, development and management of YouTube’s business and product direction in EMEA. Previously, he lead the Apps and Enterprise product divisions within Google. In 2007 he launched Google Apps, Google’s cloud computing suite for business. In the same year he played a key roll in the acquisition of the security and compliance company Postini, Google’s third largest acquisition to-date.
Matthew has over 15 years of experience in Internet technology, product strategy, enterprise product management, marketing and sales. Prior to joining Google in 2004, Matthew was a senior member of the management team for the computer industry business unit at Trilogy, an enterprise software company based in Austin, TX. Matthew holds a bachelor’s degree in mechanic engineering from Cornell University.