● We review the top moments on Twitter from 2014 – from Ellen’s Oscar selfie to the 2014 football World Cup
● See what people discussed on the platform and relive the best #OnlyOnTwitter moments on 2014.twitter.com
To mark the end of 2014, Twitter has delved into their data to create their annual ‘Year on Twitter’ roundup. Take a look back as we discover what got the world Tweeting this year — the biggest Tweets, the stand-out moments, who joined, and what trended.
In 2014, Twitter acted as a real-time soundtrack to the biggest moments and events as they unfolded in the world. Whether it was the World Cup final or @Philae2014 landing on the Rosetta Comet, what happened in the world was simultaneously happening on Twitter.
Each year, we crown the most Retweeted Tweet of the year – the “golden Tweet.” Each year this Tweet tells a different story about what message resonated with millions of Twitter users around the world.
This year, Ellen Degeneres’ (@TheEllenShow) Tweet from the Oscars became the most Retweeted Tweet of 2014 and ever, topping the most Retweeted Tweets from 2013 (Lea Michele) and 2012 (Barack Obama). Ellen’s Tweet has been retweeted more than 3 million times to date, making it the most shared message ever on the platform.
Year of the Selfie
Since January 1, the term ‘selfie’ has been mentioned more than 92 million times on Twitter – a 500% increase and 12x more than in 2013 – as people from all walks of life have come to Twitter to share their photos with followers around the world. Other memorable selfies in addition to Ellen’s smash hit included:
● Lukas Podolski’s (@Podolski10) selfies taken as the German team celebrated their World Cup victory
— Lukas-Podolski.com (@Podolski10) July 13, 2014
Selfie 2…:-) pic.twitter.com/RJh7RnXXUw
— Lukas-Podolski.com (@Podolski10) July 13, 2014
● Princes Harry and William sent their first ever selfie as they celebrated the launch of the Queens Young Leaders awards at Buckingham Palace
— Queens Young Leaders (@QueensLeaders) July 9, 2014
● Andy Murray (@andy_murray) and Novak Djokovic’s (@DjokerNole) selfie at Madison Square Gardens
— Andy Murray (@andy_murray) March 4, 2014
Sport takes the top spot
Worldwide, a record 672 million Tweets were sent about this year’s World Cup finals in Brazil, which was the highest number of Tweets to date related to an event. It’s hard to compare the 32-day, 64-match World Cup to, for example, the single-game Super Bowl, the one-night Oscars, or the 16-day Olympics, but the World Cup was a resounding Twitter success.
With regards to the UAE, some of the top moments were holidays and social gatherings, such as the first day of Eid al Fitr. Our results reveal UAE to be a nation of Twitter users tuned into what’s happening locally and who express their feelings on Twitter.
Neymar Jr. (@neymarjr) was the VIT with the most follower growth in 2014, having gained more than 1.5 million followers. Neymar Jr. led Brazil with 4 goals through the quarter-finals, but in that quarter-final game against Columbia, he suffered an injury (broken bone in back) and was out for the rest of the World Cup.
It was the year that Twitter’s most-followed star Katy Perry hit the 60 million follower mark. She’s closely followed in second place by Justin Bieber and Barack Obama, who, with 50.8 million followers, is the third most-followed person in the world, and the most-followed political or world leader on the platform.
The top 10 most followed accounts in the world are:
1. Katy Perry @katyperry – 61.1 m
2. Justin Bieber @justinbieber – 57.5m
3. Barack Obama @BarackObama – 50.8m
4. Taylor Swift @taylorswift13 – 48m
5. YouTube @YouTube – 46.9m
6. Lady Gaga @ladygaga – 43m
7. Britney Spears @britneyspears – 39.8m
8. Justin Timberlake @jtimberlake – 38.5m
9. Rihanna @rihanna – 38.3m
10. Instagram @instagram – 36.4m
Closer to home in the UAE, the most followed accounts are largely dominated by TV – channels, shows, stars and presenters. Two notable exceptions are His Highness Sheikh Mohammed and Ambassador-at-Large Hussain Aljassmi.
Here’s how the UAE’s top ten shape up:
1. Al Arabiya Breaking News @AlArabiya_Brk – 6.07m
2. Al Arabiya News @AlArabiya – 4.63m
3. Ahlam @Ahlam_Alshamsi – 4.16m
4. His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum @HHShkMohd – 3.4m
5. Mustafa Agha @mustafa_agha – 2.57m
6. Faris Awad @farisf9 – 2.41m
7. Ola Al Fares @OlaAlfares – 2.26m
8. Al Hadath News @AlHadath – 2.18m
9. MBC Group @mbc_group – 2.05m
10. Hussain Aljassmi @7sainaljassmi – 1.99m
If you’re not on Twitter, there couldn’t be a better time to sign up than now, so you can experience all the big stories of 2015 in real-time. Download the app or sign up at twitter.com and start following the people you care about and accounts that interest you.
To relive more of the biggest moments from around the globe this year, head over to 2014.twitter.com.
About Twitter, Inc.
Twitter (NYSE: TWTR) is a global platform for public self-expression and conversation in real time. By developing a fundamentally new way for people to consume, create, distribute and discover content, Twitter enables any voice to echo around the world instantly and unfiltered. The service can be accessed at Twitter.com, via Twitter mobile applications for a variety of devices, and by text message. Available in more than 35 languages, Twitter has more than 284 million monthly active users. For more information, visit discover.twitter.com or follow @twitter.