Holding steadfast to its progressive mission of further involving Advertising (Creative) students in the branding/advertising industries, the Visual Communication Department (VC) at The American University in Dubai (AUD) has launched this Fall semester its Brandvertising Series, held in the University’s premises.
The Series comprise a sequence of lectures and workshops, lead by prominent professionals, from varied disciplines, with live discussions held with students.
The Series kicked off with a lecture entitled, “The Possessor,” on Intellectual Property Laws, Brand Protection and Enforcement, delivered by Mr. David Harper, an Associate at the internationally renowned Clyde & Co. law firm. The lecture provided an overview of intellectual property and the nuances of protecting and enforcing intellectual property rights and beyond, with a particular focus on trademarks and copyright in the United Arab Emirates. AUD faculty and students attended the lecture and were granted the opportunity to interrelate with Mr. Harper on a one-on-one basis where their queries, tackling copyright enforcement and the gauges that govern such tactics within the UAE law, were duly addressed.
On the importance of organizing and hosting “The Possessor,” and the motive behind allocating such topic to mark the commencement of the Series, Dina Faour, Assistant Professor of Advertising at AUD, and Curator of the Brandvertising Series, comments, “The Possessor marks the first of these events for a reason: It is of grave importance that our young creative minds obtain a clear understanding of their rights as intellectual property owners. Thanks to the continuous support of Clyde & Co, we are able to provide detailed legal advice on intellectual property in the UAE and the region.”
Mr. Harper explains his perspective on the significant impact “The Possessor” embodies in regards to the students’ learning experience, asserting, “We believe that learning how to capture the value of intellectual property rights is a crucial lesson for every design student to learn during the formative stage of their careers.”
More lectures, within the scope of the Brandvertising Series, have been scheduled to take place, on a regular basis throughout the academic term, representing a gateway to current and local practices.
Notes and media contacts
The American University in Dubai (AUD) is a private, non-sectarian institution of higher learning founded in 1995. It serves UAE nationals and international students who seek world-class career-oriented education. AUD, as an international institution of higher education, encourages global understanding by providing an atmosphere of cultural diversity and opportunities for an international education.
• AUD is accredited by the Commission on Colleges (COC) of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees.
• AUD is officially licensed by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research of the United Arab Emirates. The Ministry has accredited the university’s programs in International Studies, Business Administration (both undergraduate and graduate), Communication and Information Studies, Engineering, Computer and Information Technology, Computer Science, Architecture, Visual Communication and Interior Design, Education (graduate), and Construction Management (graduate), in addition to a Certificate program in Middle Eastern Studies.
• AUD is approved to operate by the State of Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission (NPEC).
• AUD has received specialized accreditation for its Bachelor’s of Business Administration (B.B.A.), and Master’s of Business Administration (M.B.A.) degree programs in business through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE). The university’s undergraduate concentrations in Marketing Communications and Advertising (Creative) have been accredited by the International Advertising Association (IAA) in New York.
• The Civil, Computer, and Electrical Engineering Programs of AUD’s School of Engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. The Bachelor of Science in Computer and Information Technology (B.S.C.I.T.) program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET.
For more information, please contact:
Ms. Rim Ibrahim
Marketing Communications Coordinator
American University in Dubai
T. +971 4 3183 139