Deputy Editor | Zawya - Dubai, UAE
Zawya is looking for a Deputy Editor with excellent writing and reporting skills within the business and finance domain. You will oversee the English and Arabic teams who post relevant news, press releases, multimedia and events always ensuring their accuracy, efficiency and relevance. You will manage the team ensuring all home pages and agenda-setting sections are regularly updated. You will also be involved in contributing to the unique content offering provided by Zawya and will have significant input into turning information into intelligence through an insightful and creative approach to journalism.
Desired Skills & Experience
The following knowledge, skills and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education and prior related work experience.
- University/college degree or equivalent is well regarded, ideally in journalism
- At least 5 years experience in either news-wires, newspapers oronline media; in-depth knowledge of Middle East business environment preferred
- Proven news judgment and analytical abilities thorough understanding of business issues of the region and ability to write complex stories on financial issues such as stock markets, IPOs, funds, bonds etc.
- Ability restructure, rewrite and edit news and analysis copy withan eye for inconsistencies
- Ability to prioritize concurrent projects and adhere to challenging deadlines
- Familiarity with web-based publishing platforms and multimedia preferred
- Ability to analyze and anticipate interests of targeted audience
- Native-level English-language skills. Arabic knowledge is preferable
- Team player
Desired Skills & Experience
The ideal candidate will be a combination of an editor and writer with a journalism degree or relevant experience. This is a multi-faceted role that requires someone who can source news, write and edit articles on daily deadline. Website/Online skills preferred.
Zawya, a Thomson Reuters company, focuses on developing business and investment environments in the Middle East and North Africa. The company provides services that enable professionals to identify, assess, monitor and help generate business and investment opportunities in both the public and private markets.
Thousands of premium members use Zawya’s information resources, technology applications and online network to better connect to opportunities across the GCC, Levant, Iraq and North Africa. Zawya operates through two separate divisions, Professional Investors and Business Development Services, specifically set to empower members according to their needs either with respect to investment or business opportunities.
Headquartered in Dubai, Zawya has presence in Lebanon and Saudi Arabia.